On December 15, 2021 the Governor of the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic Hector Valdez Albizu was choosen as the Bank Governor of the Year for the Latin America category by PAN Finance based in London/Barcelona/Sharjah. The reason for the distinction is the extraordinary handling of the Dominican economy despite the effects of the Covid pandemic. The Dominican economy posted one of the highest growth rates of the Western Hemisphere above 12% for the January-October period of 2021. This magnificient handling of the Dominican economy is due in no smalk part of Hector Valdez Albizu’s administration of the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic.
Hector Valdez Albizu Academic Formation
As of right now he has been the Governor of the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic for 26 years out of 46 years working for the institution. He graduated from the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo (UASD) with an Bachelor’s Degree in Economics in 1971. Afterwards he did postgraduate studies as the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile in Santago, Chile. He did other studies in the International Monetary Fund Specialized Institute in Washington DC, United States (1974 – 1977); in the Organization of American States, the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic and Advanced Investigative Studies Center; the last three in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
Hector Valdez Albizu Aport to Several Studies
His economist career lead to his participation in many economic investigative projects. The following are some of these studies.
- Parallel Hard Currency Market Study
- Investments in Alternative Financial Activities
- The Importance of the Financial Market for Currency Exchange Systems
- Financial Programs for the Dominican Republic (1976-1990)
- The Size, Magnitude and Growth Possibilities of the National Banking System (1976)
- Emergency Currency Exchange Regimen (1985)
- Changes to the Finance System, A Response (1985)
Hector Valdez Albizu was a professor at two universities in the Dominican Republic.
- Eastern Central University (UCE), San Pedro de Macoris (1975 – 1977)
- Pro Education and Culture Action University (APEC), Santo Domingo (1979 – 1988)
Hector Valdez Albizu published two books in Spanish only.
- Un camino hacia el desarrollo I (1996)
- Un camino hacia el desarrollo II (2000)
Hector Valdez Albizu has received many recognitions basdd on his position as Governor of the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic. Also, his impact in the economic development of the Dominican Republic. The following are some of the recognitions.
- Public Servant Merit Medal; Government of the Dominican Republic (1996).
- Gaucho Rioplatense; Dirigencia (Argentina; 1996).
- Economist of the Year; Dominican College of Economists (1997).
- Distinguished Visitor; Barahona, Dominican Republic (1998).
- Banker of the Year; Listín Diario (1998).
- Chief of the Year; Asociación Dominicana de Secretarías (1999).
- Governor of the Year – The Americas; The Banker (2006).
- Global Finance Central Bank Report Card Grade A; Global Finance (2017).
- Governor of the Year – Caribbean; Global Markets (2017).
- Duarte, Sanchez y Mella Merit Order, Official Grade; Government of the Dominican Republic (2012).
- Bernardo O’Higgins Order Condecoration, Great Official Grade; Government of Chile (2019).
- Recognition Certificate; Senate of the Dominican Republic (2021).
- Bank Governor of the Year, Latin America; PAN Finance (2021).
PAN Finance Banker of the Year – Latin America 2021