Ron Barceló is one of the most popular rums of the Dominican Republic. It also represents the Dominican Republic around the world as it is one of the most successful exports. This article details certain aspects of the founding and creation of Ron Barceló. It also offers a view at its museum Centro Histórico Ron Barceló (Ron Barceló Historic Center) near San Pedro de Macorís, Dominican Republic.
Disclaimers (Must read completely prior to continuing)
- The excessive consumption of alcohol is harmful to maintaining good health. Complying with the 42-01 law of the Dominican Republic.
- Purchasers and consumers of alcohol in the Dominican Republic must be at least 18 years old without exception. Violation is punishable by law.
- By reading, citing or referencing to all or any part of this article via any way in physical, vocal or electronic means; you confirm that you are at least 18 years old. If not, please stop here and immediately leave this article.
- Readers, citers and referencers of this article by any means reliquish their right to legally persue anyone related in any way to TheDominicans.org or TheDominicans.org itself for an indefinite period of time in the Dominican Republic, in any other country and/or a supranational organization.
- This article is for informative purposes only and to spread the knowledge of a point of interest in the Dominican Republic.
- TheDominicans.org is not affiliated in any way with Barceló y Compañía, Ron Barceló, SRL and/or any other subsidiary of the companies.
- The views, values and opinions of TheDominicans.org are not necessarily shared by Barceló y Compañía, Ron Barceló, SRL and/or any other subsidiary of the companies or vice versa.
- This article is not monetarily or via any way endorsed by Barceló y Compañía, Ron Barceló, SRL and/or any other subsidiary of the companies.
- TheDominicans.org encourage our readers to please visit www.RonBarcelo.com for further information.
Foundation of Ron Barceló
The beginning of Ron Barceló initiates with a native of the island of Mallorca of Spain, Julián Barceló. He immigrated to the Dominican Republic in 1929 as a 24 years old. He founded Barceló y Compañía in the following year of 1930 in Santo Domingo. After spending many years introducing several rum blends to the Dominican market, the first two rums with the Ron Barceló brand are presented to the Dominican market: Ron Barceló Blanco and Ron Barceló Dorado. In 1970, Ron Barceló Añejo is added to the portfolio. The best rum created yet is launched to the Dominican market, Ron Barceló Imperial. Within the Dominican Republic it began to rank among the three most consumed rums, a favorite among Dominicans since the 1980’s. Exports of Ron Barceló started in the 90’s and the first market was Spain. By 2006 it was present in 25 countries worldwide and ranked as the most consumed Dominican rum in Spain. Today it has a presence in more than 50 countries.
Distilling of Ron Barceló
The diatilling process of Ron Barceló takes place entirely in the Dominican Republic. This is also the first Dominican rum company that the entire distilling process, from the sugar cane fields to the moment each blend makes it to the bottles, has a green focus. This makes Ron Barceló the most environmently friendly Dominican rum.
The Location of the Centro Histórico Ron Barceló
Despite Ron Barceló has its headquarters in Santo Domingo, the Centro Histórico Ron Barceló is located near San Pedro de Macorís city in the province of the same name.
The Exterior of the Centro Histórico Ron Barceló
The Centro Histórico Ron Barceló open its doors in 2012 near San Pedro de Macorís. This is the first museum of its kind in the Dominican Republic. The museum design is in the shape of a barrel with an inner courtyard.
The Interior of the Centro Histórico Ron Barceló
The Centro Histórico Ron Barceló covers the history of rum making, the role of rum in the culture and the distilling process for Ron Barceló. Furthermore, it has a rum tasting area where different delicious Ron Barceló blends are tasted by the visitors and a small shop with plenty of Ron Barceló blends and other Ron Barceló paraphernalia on sale. The most valuable information is offered by live guides who make any visit truly special.
Ron Barceló has received many recognitions through the years due to its excellent blends both in the Dominican Republic and abroad. Among these are the following international recognitions of Ron Barceló Imperial.
- Best aged rum by the Miami Rum Festival in 2013.
- Best in the class by the International Rum Festival in 2008.
- Top ranking rum in the BTI (many times).
In addition, the Ron Barceló Imperial Premium Blend 30 Aniversario has been awarded the following in international circles.
- Gold award by the Miami Rum Festival in 2013.
- Double-gold award by the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
Ron Barceló Giving Back to the Community
The establishment and subsequent growth of Ron Barceló meant that it had an impact in Dominican society. This impact wasn’t limited to the creation of hundreds of job opportunities and becoming an international brand synonimous with Dominican quality, but the company founded several not-for-profit organizations meant to further improve and promote different aspects of the Dominican Republic.
- The Pro-Foresta Foundation: Founded in 1983, it offers funds to ecological research and studies.
- The Pro-Health Foundation: Founded in 1989, it supplies much needed aids to several public hospitals in Santo Domingo.
- The Pro-Sports Foundation: Founded in 1990, it promotes the further development of sports such as basketball, baseball, softball, etc in the Dominican Republic. It also offers extra assistance to the Dominican Olympic Committee.
- The Pro-Culture Foundation: Founded in 1990, it sponsors concerts concerning the symphony in Santo Domingo, in addition to other musical concerts by popular Dominican and international singers, publication of books, educational programs, etc.
- The Pro-Tourism Foundation: Founded in 1990, promotes tourism-focused community projects and the formation of human resources for the sector.